There comes a time when every person either gets fed up with their job and the idea of having a boss or there comes a time that every person simply wants to move past it and excel in greater positions. In fact, what position is greater than one in which you are the boss? Regardless of age or job history, everyone has the backup plan or hope to one day become self-employed. There are, however, a few thoughts you should take into account before considering an idea for self-employment. After reflecting on the following thoughts, it will make picking the right self-employment idea out of the 11 listed at the end of this article much easier.
First, contemplate the overall requirements of becoming self-employed. It can be difficult and require intense forms of self-motivation, independence and resilience. While you have almost complete flexibility of your schedule, you will find that often times you are working more than the average 9-5 job. You will discover that income is no longer based on a specific amount per hour but instead based on the effort and energy you put in. When you are self-employed, you have to overcome the lack of support that you would normally rely on to your boss and coworkers for. The only sure roadmaps for you are the ones you create. You must be void of fear of failure because you will have to test every decision. Becoming self-employed in itself is a test, a test of the best. In order to handle the power of self-employment, it helps to remember that finally you are in control. You have the power of success or failure, of a six figure income or four figures, and of finally being happy with your work. Those reasons are of course, the greatest motives why you are considering self-employment.
Secondly, deep down, we are all self-employed. You are the only one who has control over your thoughts, feelings and actions. You have the choice each day to get your job done right and you have the choice to go the extra mile. You are in control of the amount of income you make. If you want to make more, then you work smarter and harder. If you want a job that allows you to travel, then you have the ability to learn everything it takes and obtain that job. This is the true meaning of self-employment.
Thirdly, there is a step that needs to be implemented before you begin your endeavors as a self-employed person. The step is preparation. It can be extremely difficult to start a self-employed business if you do not have money saved up. Before you can follow through with an idea, you need to research and learn everything that has been done about the idea already. Then you can finally create a business plan that will assure to the best of your abilities that the business idea will wind up as a success. In review, the steps of preparation involve saving, learning, assessing and creating a business plan.
Lastly, the most common source for the reasoning of becoming self-employed is that you have an idea; an idea that you can expand and profit from. This idea can range from a simple small business in your neighborhood all the way to something that can spread internationally. Fortunately, there are dozens of self-employment ideas already crafted into a profession that you have the ability to take up. The following 11 business ideas are ones that have been thought of already and only require practice.
- Virtual Assistant: Provides administrative, technical and creative assistance to the needs of a specific business. This could entail research, writing reports, placing orders, managing calendars and so on. Everything an office assistant would do, but virtually.
- Graphic Designer: Creates logos, emblems, art and various other images for clients based on their need. Graphic designers can be used to design images for anything ranging from t-shirts to brochures.
- Writer: Whether it is becoming a copywriter, a ghost writer or both, with the rise of social media, organizations and other self-employed people are hiring writers for both blogging and business.
- Craftsman: Door to door selling would work well for handmade crafts 25 years ago. Now it is easier to sell handmade crafts right on the internet by creating your own website. If you’re great at making something, get great at profiting from it too.
- Babysitting: This can become a full time job, often with a decent pay if you do not mind the travel from house to house. If you love kids, of course this is for you.
- Nanny: As a supplement to babysitting you would be providing cleaning and housekeeping services.
- Dog Walker, Sitter and Washer: People often times do not have the time to walk their dogs nor the money to pay a special grooming service to give them a bath. This puts you in a perfect situation to become self-employed, as long as you love dogs.
- Landscaper: Becoming a self-employed landscaper is perfect if you have a keen sense to the visual affect of the placement of plants, grass and other structures. This is the best choice if you’re a gardener.
- Entertainer: You may be looking to become self-employed because you used up all your jokes at the workplace. When there are always “tough times” occurring somewhere, traveling as a comedian or another type of entertainer can be profitable.
- Public Speaker: Getting other people engaged in what you have to talk about is perfect if you have a motivational and inspirational intensity in everything you say each day and don’t mind speaking to large numbers of people
- Teacher: All you have to do is ask yourself what you know well enough to teach other people how to do. Cook? Speak a second language? Karate?
The list stops there simply for the reason why self employment is so great. You have the ability to make anything into a business. The options for self-employment ideas are endless. It’s key to first look at your interests and hobbies to find which can be best made into a business.
However, if you want to be the most successful self-employed money maker, either you have the option to get creative and take the time to think of a new better idea or find ways to improve the ones listed above. You may have to get out of your comfort zone to provide a broad list of services in order for it to remain a successful business. Essentially you can begin self-employment as a small business entrepreneur by making a business out of what you know and do best. This can be comprised of your interests, hobbies and talents. If successfully done, you can transpose it into a larger business and become a prime example of self-employment.
The goal of achieving any type of self-employment, small or large, is long and difficult. However, the rewards are abundant and often extend much further than a salary at a 9-5 job. By becoming self-employed you can reach financial independence. Self-employment has the potential to create a passive income which will then allow you time to either devote yourself to yet another business idea or to simply relax and reminisce on your hard and successful work.