Some of the major living expenses for Americans these days are home and auto insurance. Policies are pricey, but you can keep costs down by qualifying for discounts. Give a licensed agent a call and ask whether you are eligible for savings opportunities.
Home insurance discounts
- Home-auto. Bundling your home and auto insurance by purchasing both policies from the same provider is one of the best ways to save money on your insurance. The price reduction on your premiums can be immense.
- Safety features. Keeping your home and family safe is also cost-effective. If your house is equipped with smoke and fire detectors, deadbolts or an alarm system, you might qualify for a discount.
- Claims free. Insurance providers are eager to partner with customers who are unlikely to experience a mishap and file a claim. If you have gone claims-free for some time, you’re deemed less likely to file a claim in the future. Your claims-free history makes you good business, so you might be able to snag a discount.
- Nonsmoker. Nonsmokers are less likely to set a house fire. Make sure you ask for a nonsmoker discount if you live smoke-free.
- 55 or older and retired. Many seniors are bound to a fixed income, so they can save some money with a special discount for homeowners who are 55 or older and retired.
Auto insurance discounts
- Multi-car. Just like the home-auto discount, increasing your business with a particular auto insurance carrier can boost your value. Insure multiple household vehicles with one provider and you can achieve significant savings.
- Good student. Insurance can be mighty expensive for young drivers. Luckily, there are discounts specifically geared toward households with teen motorists. If your teenager is maintaining a good GPA, you might qualify for a discount.
- Defensive driving. Insurance companies benefit from doing business with clients who stay out of accidents. It’s for this reason that providers sometimes offer discounts to customers who take accredited defensive driving courses. Depending on your carrier, this savings opportunity is available for teen and adult drivers.
- Payment and document options. How you manage your account and payments can also save you some money on your insurance. Some providers offer discounts for signing your documents online or paying your premium in full.
- Safety features. One of the perks of certain discounts is that you don’t have to do anything to qualify. If your car has airbags and an alarm system, you might already be eligible for discounts.
- Electric vehicle. A downside of owning an eco-friendly car is that they’re expensive. Small models can cost upwards of $50,000. The good news is that some providers are starting to offer savings to EV owners.
Discounts can save you a lot of money and they’re easy to come by. One warning: Discounts vary greatly according to which provider you use and what state you live in. Call an agent today to see if you qualify for savings.